[Skip to content]

  • Rykneld Homes Facebook
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
  • Rykneld Homes Twitter
Search our Site
Rykneld Homes
Piggy banks in the grass banner image

Universal Credit

Important message for our customers claiming Universal Credit:

Please ensure that you respond to the 'To Do' item in your Universal Credit journal which relates to the changes to your rent charges from April 2019.

It is important to respond to this 'To Do' item to ensure that you are paid the correct housing costs through Universal Credit.

You still need to respond to this 'To Do' item even if your housing costs are paid directly to Rykneld Homes.

If you need help in completing this 'To Do' item please do not hesitate to contact your Rent Collection Officer or the Financial Inclusion Team on 01246 217670.

Universal Credit is a new benefit. It replaces six means tested benefits and is designed to help people of working age who are unemployed or on a low income. 

All the North East Derbyshire area is now a Universal Credit area. Please note - the advice contained in this section is designed to give you information about universal credit and how to make a claim.

Although North East Derbyshire is a Universal Credit area, some people will still be eligible to apply for legacy benefits, these include for example, housing benefit.

Before making a claim for benefits, it is important that you seek advice to ensure that you claim the benefit that is right for you.

Please see Advice and Help below on where to go to get assistance.

Universal Credit Logo

What you need to do to claim universal credit:

Get Online - Universal Credit is a fully digital service - this means that you have to claim online and your claim thereafter is managed online. 

You can use this website to make your claim: www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit.

To make an online claim you need:

  • Your postcode
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Email address
  • Details of rent costs
    (Top Tip: You will need to know your weekly rent and any services charges. Remember: Rykneld Homes has four rent free weeks per year! You will need to answer 'yes' to the question 'Do you pay rent to live in your home?'). Ensure the rent information you provide on your application is up-to-date. Your tenancy agreement or an out-of-date rent statement will not reflect your current rent charge.
  • Details of savings or capital
  • Details of earnings
  • Details of benefits/any other income 
  • Details of your bank account / Building Society account / Credit Union account
  • Details of household including; partner, children, and any non-dependants


Remember: You will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax support as this is not covered by Universal Credit.


How do I pay my rent with Universal Credit?

Any housing costs that you are entitled to as part of your Universal Credit claim will be paid to you directly in your monthly payment.

This means it is your responsibility to pay your rent directly to Rykneld Homes. You must inform the Rykneld Homes Rent Collection Officers that you have made a claim for Universal Credit, you can do this by calling us on 01246 217670.    


Advice and Help

If you need any help or advice about Universal Credit, Welfare Benefits, budgeting, or debts then we are here to help. We have a specialist Financial Inclusion Team that can offer assistance. For more information please contact the team on 01246 217670 and we will be happy to help you.

The Derbyshire County Council library service is helping people to prepare for UC, they can also help you to make a claim for Universal Credit. Contact Derbyshire Library Information Service on 01629 533444.

We have included a list of helpful links here to give you more information about Universal Credit: